Wednesday, March 25, 2009

One of Those Days

One of my favourite episodes of the old Mary Tyler Moore show was the one where Mary had a really bad day. Bad hair day, spilled coffee on her shirt, screwed up at work, tripped and sprained her ankle... when she finally got home, she had this exchange with Rhoda:
Mary: Have you ever had one of those days?"
Rhoda: "Mostly."

That's how I'm feeling lately. Today was a banner day- I was going to stay home, since I'm not feeling well, but at 8:00 I remembered I had a few meetings with some vendors who were flying in from Montreal, so I picked up the first clothes I could find, did a lousy makeup job, and bolted out the door. On the way to work, a crazy man yelled at me" Hey you fucking smart cookie- LOOK AT ME! I know it was you!", then he SPAT on me. Fantastic.

Sat at my desk, and opened a vanilla yogurt. Must have been vacuum-sealed, since it exploded all over my sweater.

My boss came by and told me that another project was due today, and we were having a team meeting. I raced between projects, skipped lunch, and worked like a madwoman to be ready for my 1:30 meeting. Tick, tick, tick. Where are they? Oh, they declined the meeting last week, but no one bothered to tell us. Great.

Finally, I had time for lunch. I spilled Ginger Carrot soup on my sweater.

Amazingly, nothing went wrong between the hours of 2 and 5 PM.

And as soon as my boots hit the pavement at 5, it started to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment