Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mildred Pierce, R.I.P.

Went to Oasi last night, for a preview of the restaurant opening in the space that used to be Mildred Pierce and The Cookworks. Made me want to barf to see the part that had been The Cookworks turned in to such a generic club space, with all the obvious design tricks- white-painted brick walls, pointless videos projected on the walls, and the same music you hear everywhere.

The restaurant part was nice, though. My main aesthetic concern with restaurants is the lighting, and this place had cool fixtures and subdued, flattering lighting. (I hate feeling like I'm in a giant tanning booth when I'm eating an expensive dinner.) The banquettes were upholstered in a subtle neutral stripe, and there was a mix of dark and light wood.

The menu was intriguing, and no more expensive than any other new restaurant in town. (That's another trend I hate: exorbitant pricing as a marketing gimmick.) There's an extensive wine list, with a bafflingly large selection of both reds and whites from Greece. I'll definitely go back for dinner, but I'll mourn the passing of Mildred Pierce, and look forward to Mildred's Temple Kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Mildred Pierce...such a great restaurant. Even though Sunday brunch was only so-so (Anthony Bourdain says you should avoid brunch like the plague, especially the hollandaise sauce) it was a lovely setting in the summer.

    ReplyDelete