Sunday, February 15, 2009

Petty Fores


Spent all day Saturday at McCall's learning how to make petit fours.  I didn't think to bring my own apron, and I cleverly wore a black sweater and brown cords, so I was covered in flour and sugar quite a bit of the time.

It was a hands-on class, but the sort where everyone does a bit of everything; you don't just make your own batch.  We made a lemon sponge roulade, tons of little tarts with a sweet almond paste, almond cream, and variations of buttercream, fondant icing, and vanilla custard. 

Also made the standard pound cake with marzipan and raspberry jam.  The fun part was the melted fondant.  We learned the proportions and temperature that guarantee a smooth, glossy finish.  

I will definitely do these again.  Just not for a long while.  There was some sampling, and I will be spending tomorrow on a treadmill because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment