Sunday, February 8, 2009

What's In Store?

It has been established that I like to shop.  A few weeks ago I felt it necessary to add a new sweater to the collection, so after work I headed over to Banana Republic.  It was mid-January in Canada, and positively freezing outside, yet I was met with "The Spring Collection".  Short-sleeved silk blouses, thin cotton skirts, and sleeveless dresses.  I searched high and low and found exactly one sweater on the sale rack.  Fortunately it was my size.  As I paid, I said to the cashier, "Do you find it strange that it's minus 20 outside and this is the only sweater in the store?"  
"Oh yeah, it's cold!", she replied, missing my point entirely.  I didn't pursue the issue, since I have learned not to take out my frustration with a corporate decision on a minimum wage-earning employee.  I did want her to commiserate, though.  I didn't ask for the manager, either.  I have sort of a short fuse, and sometimes when I intend to sound reasonable, my voice raises slightly and I develop what my mother would call "tone", as in "Don't take that tone with me, missy."  I am an email complainer, which I find satisfying since I have time to construct my argument, and no one can watch me fume while I type.

My point is this:  retailers are struggling mightily in the current economic climate, but still expect consumers to shop for a season six months away.  I understand that it's important to get the new merchandise out quickly, but aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot when we are sold out of boots while the snow is still falling, and trying to move linen pants when the temperature is way below zero?

I don't expect much of a response from the store; I'll probably get a stock "Thank you for making us aware of the issue" sort of thing.  There were maybe three people in BR that night, and I was the only one buying.  A vacant cash line is the only way they'll learn.

1 comment:

  1. Very true, sister. Well, these times the retail environment is like a very small herd of gazelles surrounded by a whole pride of ravenous lions...so those that decide to break their own legs won't be around very long.

    ReplyDelete