Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Whiteness, Explained.

Meet archaeologist Neil Oliver.  I know nothing about him beyond the great accent and the oddly enticing long hair, but for some reason, I'm intrigued in a way I am not when, say, David Starkey is blathering on about Henry VIII...
Yeah, he wears a kilt in one episode.

TVO just finished airing his series A History of Scotland, which I found truly fascinating- I love history, and I am amazed at how much I didn't know about Scotland.  There were 10 episodes in the series; the first 8 were about the English invading and the tough Scots battling them back, but on the bright side, the armies had different outfits each century, so there's that.

I am fascinated on a personal note, as well.  My pallor was  destined by the collection of European immigrants that showed up in Canada and intermarried. My mother's grandparents were from Scotland and Denmark. The other side of my family was no help in adding some tone to my skin; I'm a Bruce on my father's side- his first two names were Robert Bruce, if that helps paint the picture.
Could have been a picture of sheep!

Anyway, this series makes me want to visit the land of my ancestors.  It would be fun to spend some time around other people who are also the colour of Liquid Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment