Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Healthier Spaghetti- Sideways, for Some Reason

In my Ten Dollar Dinner post, I shared a recipe for a tomato-based sauce that I think is just delicious. Unfortunately, it's also full of oil and butter. Come to think of it, there may be a connection... Anyway, here is the sauce I made tonight. I usually make a simpler sauce, but the vegetables add texture and vitamins. Thanks to this wonderfully warm October, I still had some fresh herbs kicking around on the terrace, but dried will do when the weather finally turns crappy.





1 carrot, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
1/2 white onion,minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. olive oil
750 ml tomato passata, sodium free, if possible (Pomi is a good brand)
Red pepper flakes to taste
1/2 tsp. black Pepper
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
Chopped fresh herbs- basil, oregano, Italian parsley
tiny splash honey

Heat oil in a saucepan, and saute the vegetables and garlic until soft. Add everything but the fresh herbs, and cook 15 minutes. Right before serving, add most of the fresh herbs. Serve on top of cooked whole wheat spaghetti, and sprinkle with remaining herbs and freshly grated parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment